Sunday, January 23, 2011

Summer Days in January

Dear Friend,

Today I was walking to school to get some extra grading done over the weekend. It was mid-day and the sun was shining bright. I stepped outside in my T-shirt, capri pants and flip flops. I looked up with my eyes closed to feel the sun on my face. I smelled the freshly cut fields and heard the birds gaily chirping. To be honest I almost felt like I was in Switzerland. I couldn't help smiling and praising God for such a beautiful summer day. Then it hit me, it isn't summer, it is the middle of JANUARY! I laughed to myself at the fact. I can't believe I am in Indonesia and get to experience summer weather all year round. I love being hit with the facts of my life and having a new amazement of God who brought me to this country where I get to experience so many wonderful things.

The same thing used to happen to me at college. Most often in the dinning hall. I would be standing in line waiting for food, watching the hustle and bustle of the Chartwells workers and it would hit me, "I'm in College!" I would go back to the 'people watching booth' where my friends were waiting and I would say, "You guys! We're in college!" With a smile and a laugh they would reply, "Uhh, yeah, Becka, we've been in college for 3 years now." I guess I was always amazed that I was actually in college because when I was little, college was my end goal. I was going to college. I didn't know what I would do there nor what I would do after wards; I figured I would get my MRS degree because that is what happens after college. Thankfully my good friend Claudia kicked that idea out of my head my freshman year and made me find a realistic goal for my life beyond college, because there WAS life after college. I am forever grateful to her for that, because obviously I did not get my MRS degree and I did have a goal for a particular profession, to become a teacher, which is what led me to Indonesia.

Life is crazy, like a roller coaster (I know, how cliche, but I finally understand why people say that, and not just because of the ups and downs). Sometimes in life you want to scream and cry, sometimes you want to laugh and throw your hands up, sometimes you are scared of what may happen next, then excited at the rush of what is happening; in the end, even though you know both the good and bad feelings are going to come, you still want to ride the roller coaster and you actually look forward to the downhill thrust after the gradual climb up the treacherous hill. So enjoy the treacherous hill, because that's when the fun part is about to start. (Gradual and climb were two spelling words last week for my students... I should tell them I used those words in a sentence)


Well, I hope your week goes well,
Rebekah

No comments:

Post a Comment